The hard, cold truth of YouTube is that no matter how good your videos are, if you don’t promote them, nobody will ever see them. There are just so many of them that posting a video nowadays is like a drop in the ocean. However, promoting is something that can luckily be learned. Here is how to promote YouTube videos and increase traffic.
1. The Title Matters
As you might have imagined, the thing that attracts most viewers to one video or another is the title. Therefore, you want to make it as compelling as possible. Here’s how.
- Make sure the title is short and goes straight to the point. Don’t bore people right off the bat.
- If you can, add the year. Viewers love current stuff and go straight to that content.
- Use so-called ‘power words’ such as amazing, incredible, fantastic, and so on.
- ‘Emotional trigger words’ work as well – cute, censored, romantic, lonely, etc.
- Use capital letters in your title. It’s a great tip on how to promote YouTube videos.
2. Pay Attention to Tags
The second most important thing you need to be aware of is tags. If used incorrectly, they will bury your video in the vast sea that is YouTube. Remember that it’s these little things which make it possible for searchers to find your post. These are the rules.
- If you have a brand, use it as one of the tags. It’s unique.
- Use all of your keywords as tags for your videos.
- Find variations of those keywords using YouTube’s auto-suggest and then add them as tags as well.
- Find high ranking videos and see which tags they used. Copy them. If you’re unsure how to do it, Tube Buddy will help you. It’s an extension for Chrome which you can install for free.
You might also like – Wondering How Do People Make Money on YouTube? We’ve Got You Covered
3. Thumbnails Can Make a Difference
Another thing people take into account when choosing which video to watch on YouTube after a search is the thumbnail. If it consists of an interesting picture, they click on it. Therefore, you can use it to stand out. Here’s what you need to do.
- The resolution of the image needs to be 1280 x 720.
- There is also a minimum width required of 640 pixels.
- The format YouTube allows is .JPG, .GIF, .BMP, or .PNG.
- You should always keep the picture under 2MB in size.
- Also, as far as aspect ratio goes, the best is 16:9. This is the one most YouTube players as well as previews use.
This may seem like a lot to remember or to take into account for a single picture. However, when it comes to your videos’ thumbnail, think about the fact that it has to look good both on the big screen and on the mobile version.
YouTube has come a long way from simply uploading some content to it and having people watch it no matter what. There are a lot of rules and technicalities to it if you want to make sure your posts actually stand out. However, learning how to promote YouTube videos is not difficult. Let us know in the comment section below what are tips and tricks you use.